My favorite part about being a lawyer is having the opportunity to solve complex problems with unique solutions.
After just one year as an associate with John R. Surratt, P.A., Bryan Thompson became a member of the firm at which time the firm was named Surratt & Thompson, PLLC. He was appointed Public Administrator of Forsyth County, North Carolina in 2006 and Public Administrator of Davie County, North Carolina in 2010, providing estate administration and guardianship services as an independent person when required by the Court.
His legal practice areas are broad and include the following: Elder Law, Wills and Estate Planning, Trusts and Estates, Guardianship, Corporate Law, Collections, Taxation, Consumer Law, and Residential / Commercial Real Estate. Bryan chairs the firm's Estate, Guardianship, and Trust practices.
Bryan has had the privilege of representing clients in state and federal courts as well as numerous federal and state regulatory bodies. As a trusted attorney, Bryan has been appointed several times to wind down law firms of attorneys.
In addition to his legal practice, Bryan is actively involved in his community serving on the Advisory Board of the Salvation Army in Winston-Salem (past Chair), the Stewardship Committee of River Oaks Community Church, the Human Rights Committee of Centerpoint Human Services (current Chair), the Board of Directors of the North Carolina Guardianship Association (current President and Chair), and the Board of Directors for Trellis Foundation (Secretary).
Bryan was appointed to the Governing Board of Cardinal Innovations, the largest medicaid managed organization in the State of North Carolina, in September, 2016. He served on the 2013 DHHS, Division of Aging and Adult Services Ad Hoc Guardianship Workgroup and is an active speaker and presenter for various professional conferences on the topics of public health, governmental programs and elder / disability law.
Most importantly, Bryan is married to Sharon Thompson and is the father of two daughters, Nina and Sophia, with whom he meanders around the world experiencing new cultures, and making new friends.
Areas of Practice
- Elder Law
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Trusts and Estates
- Corporate Law
- Consumer Law
- Residential / Commercial Real Estate
- Campbell University Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law, Buies Creek, North Carolina
- J.D - 1999
- Honors: cum laude
- Appalachian State University, Boone, North Carolina
- B.S. - 1995
- Major: Political Science
- North Carolina, 1999
- U.S. District Court Middle District of North Carolina
- Advisory Board, Past Chair, Salvation Army, Winston-Salem
- Stewardship Committee of River Oaks Community Church
- Human Rights Committee of Centerpoint Human Services, Chair
- Board of Directors of the North Carolina Guardianship Association, President and Chair
- Governing Board of Cardinal Innovations, State of North Carolina, 2016
- Secretary of the Board of Directors for Trellis Foundation
- DHHS, Division of Aging
- Adult Services Ad Hoc Guardianship Workgroup